Saturday, November 5, 2011

On the Numinous and the Ideal

It was about 2:30 in the morning as I was on break from work. I had gone outside to smoke a cigarette and was immediately confronted by the chill air that hugged me like a sheet. I was not to be deterred, however, and I lit my smoke without another thought. I was not paying much attention to my surroundings at first, my mind primarily focused on trifling fantasies of myself as a powerful super-being in the distant future. It was when I sat down next to a co-worker (also smoking) and talked to her that I began to regain my awareness.



I had been having a very peaceful and relaxing night at wok with almost no problems to speak of. Due to my love of sharing good news, for it truly is the gift that keeps on giving, I tell her only to be met by a tang of envy and a shrivel of pessimism. Obviously, my co-worker was not having as wonderful a night as I was. I chide her jokingly on her attitude, quoting Einstein's famous line that you can live life as if nothing or everything is a miracle. She shook her head and went inside to leave me with my silliness and optimism.



But the quote stayed with me. To live as if everything were a miracle would be such an incredible thing, indeed. To not be so caught up in negative trifles that so consume the soul and to be thankful for everything that happens to us in this life, to see it as a gift from spirit, to be embraced by deep magic would be truly the greatest miracle of all. The phrase "Deep Magic" stuck with me particularly, and it opened my awareness to my surroundings.



It is true that the air was brisk, but it contrasted my surroundings perfectly. There were no clouds in the sky, leaving only a shining mantle of stars above my head. A slight breeze blew in the branches of the nearby trees, whose leaves were the deepest shade of green I had seen in a long while. The grass was still and not a creature stirred in the adjacent parking lot. All was still and quiet and calm. There was true magic in the air that night.



I then thought: What really is magic? Most would say that it is some sort of supernatural power or a set of actions used to control nature and man. But I do not believe that. Magic is far more than mere sorcery used to gain advantage over our families and foes. Magic is even far more than Pagan spellcraft and invoking ancient Godheads. Classical Yoga, Creative Visualization, Meditation, Mysticism of all faiths (and the faiths themselves), and even Prayer are all forms of magic. Magic is not about controlling things. It is about connecting to higher consciousness, to spirit, to make the world anew. It is to become one with one's inherent divine nature to create new possibilities for life.



But Magic (and Religion, if I may be so bold) is so much more than just changing the minimal aspects of our lives. It is not a power, an act, or a creed. It is a promise. All religions, all spirituality, and all systems of spiritual power speak of this promise. This promise states that if a Man should know and love his Divine Nature, should be empty of his Ego and the Material Vanities of this world, should love all within his sphere of influence, and should always strive for the Numinous and the Ideal he shall become a fully realized Divine, Spiritual Being. He shall be co-creator with God Himself, the source of all.


I gazed at the night sky filled with the illumination of my epiphany and smiled. The rest of my night at work was even better for that chance realization and my day was even better as a result as I mulled it over. Truly, we are all of the Highest.

May you be filled with the heights of illumination and the depths of wisdom.

LVX Amor!

No comments:

Post a Comment