Saturday, June 11, 2011

On "Positoovity" and Making a Difference

"Every Human Being is the Author of his own Health or Disease." --The Buddha

Today was a very good day for me. I awoke at dawn to watch the sun rise while smoking a cigarette and from there, the day flourished to create a wealth of wonderful experiences that have moved me in wonderful ways. And I am greatful to the ever present spirit of God/dess for bringing such beauty into my life.

I had three very notable experiences today that I wish to write about, but sadly, placing them all in one post would be long and tedious and very likely get me sidetracked from the points I wish to make. So the next few blog posts of mine will be related to the things I have experienced today that filled my being with Joy.

As my personal friends know, a month ago, I was hired by a local hospital as a CNA (Certified Nursing Aide) and I absolutely adore my job.

Despite working twelve hour night shifts (which sadly take time away from my magical and mystical pursuits), I have grown to love the place and (not trying to get too egocentric) have quickly become a beacon of light to most of the employees and patients that enter the facility with my high energy and what I hope to be compassion for my fellow man. I easily make my coworkers laugh and try my best to comfort my patients as they come in, and while it can be difficult at times (I have had to transfer several patients to Hospice and even had to do post mortem care on one patient who had died during my shift, and that is heart breaking) I try my best to ease the demons of the sick and injured and I do see improvements with them, which is always a good thing.

I even see a patient's fear and suffering manifest as astral entities furthering their pain, and i do what I can with my energy work and my spellcraft to clear the negativity and facilitate greater healing. And while doing so can be dangerous for my psychic health, I am fully convinced that what I do has an impact in people's lives.

Many of my coworkers have called me a "Damn Good PCA" or have stated that I am doing a wonderful job there, and what not, and I feel a sense of pride in what I do (even if that is constantly changing patient's diapers and linens). And through some form of divine providence, I am able to do my job while rarely being overworked and never getting tired enough to want to fall asleep. When I did a goofy little dance one morning (for the fun of it, cause that's how this Witch rolls) as my shift ended, a nurse saw me and joked that whatever drugs I am on that keep me so energetic, she wanted in her coffee.

And that is it right there. It is having a belief in the positive. That things will turn out right, no matter how confusing they may seem. That by believing you will experience happiness, you will create it in your life without question.

I have witnessed two remarkable patients at my hospital who have somewhat taken this philosophy to heart and despite all odds and illness, they have moved on in their lives to greater joy and autonomy.

One was a woman who was terminally ill with cancer and I had to deliver a pizza to her, not realizing how sick she was at the time. The delivery truck was downstairs and after bringing it up, i knock on her door and I hear the sweetest voice beckoning me inside. Not a hair on her head and a breast larger the other (obviously where the tumor was), and yet she was filled with the utmost zest for life. I gave her the pizza and she giggled like a little girl taking it and even offered me a slice as a "thank you" gift. She laughed and made small jokes and was the kindest person I had seen in the hospital at the time.

Needless to say that I was stunned beyond belief, for if I were under the same circumstances, i wouldn't know how to accept it. This woman was a hero to me because she was able to move past her Dark Night of the Soul and find peace within herself and could laugh about life with full force. It is people like that that move past their sicknesses and eventually recover from such disease.

A second patient was man whom had previously had both of his legs amputated (which for me would seem like a death sentence), and despite the lack of his limbs, he was still able to function like every common human being on the planet. He was able to put on his prosthetics with incredible ease, get out of bed, and then walk very fast around his hospital room without any trouble whatsoever. I found that to be truly incredible and was astounded to have walked past his room seeing his legs at the corner of the room with him in bed and then walk back there thirty minutes later to see him walking around with no difficulty whatsoever, never seeing the call light ring asking me to fetch his legs or anything. Which I found a little odd.

That is a miracle. One that he made for himself by embracing the positive and then attracting the circumstances into his life to create newfound autonomy out of helplessness.

I have stated that we are Gods on earth. A mortal vehicle for the eternal divine source. And that we create our realities constantly by our energy (be it thoughts or emotions). If we focus on what we want in our lives, we not only attract it, we actually create it in our lives. the same goes for what we do not want in our lives, but that is another story.

The buddhist quote above states it perfectly, and I could not agree with it anymore than I do now.

But it is not just one person's "Positoovity" effecting his own life, it can work on others too. I like to think that I have noticed that my attitude of Idealism and Empathy has a significant effect on the lives of my patients. A lit candle setting fires to other unlit candles. Spreading the light and the message of hope. An intense fire of conviction burning in the hearts of man that grows and illuminates all who come near.

Today, as I rode my bicycle to the local bank to withdraw some money, I was stopped on the nearby sidewalk by a man carrying groceries, waiting for the bus. He shouted something at me, and after just going over a bump in the sidewalk, I had feared that my wallet had fallen from my pocket, so I went over to this man to find that he had been one of my patients at work. Quite a shocker for me.

In the hospital, the man was not only bedridden, but also incontinent, but refused to wear a diaper out of embarrassment. He was in pretty bad shape, and I did my best to encourage his well being and be empathetic towards him, despite the fact that he annoyed his room mate. During the course of the night, he had an accident in his bed, and was very embarrassed by it, and I did what I could to be as kind and loving as I could while changing his sheets and cleaning him up.

Now this man could walk on his own, carry out errands on his own, and had enough spirit to be happy. He told me that he was thankful for the care I gave him when other nurses were not as kind to him and stated that I "Made a Difference" for him. His words not only filled me with pride and encouraged me to keep up my good work, but also gave me a sense of accomplishment. I was doing as God/dess guided me towards and had influenced a man's life for the better. That was worth all the money for the schooling and all the dirty diapers and sheets i had to change and will change right there.

What I am ultimately getting at is that through one's hope and faith that a brighter future will occur for hir, s/he not only creates a better life for hirself, but also brings a light in others as well and elevates them up with hir. It is a truly beautiful thing. One realized god reaching out to help another god on their path towards their highest ideals.

So believe in yourself and in your greatest good and then do an act of kindness each day out of the goodness of your heart and you will see the fulfillment that comes from it. I can't tell you how much that will help not only others, but also the self to new levels of awareness.

LVX Amor!

No comments:

Post a Comment