Friday, July 15, 2011

On Boy Wizards and Power

"Every Man and Woman is a Star!" --Aleister Crowley

Today, the final installment of the Harry Potter movie franchise was released today, and you know what? I am sick of hearing about it! Sick and tired of hearing about the boy wizard and his quest to defeat the "Dark Lord". Potter is not the first young man in fantasy literature to go to a wizard school and face off against evil, much less have dark hair, glasses, and a pet owl.

It was one of such previous works that truly inspired me on my path as a magician and mystic: Ursula Le Guin's "A Wizard of Earthsea". It is a book raising the fundamental question of what one would do if gifted with unlimited power, and provided me with much thought as to my own quest for power and illumination.

The story is about a young village boy, whose powers in magic propel him to be enrolled in a Bronze Age school for wizards, and in his ego and selfishness to prove himself, accidentally conjures Death from the Underworld and lets it loose upon his mythical world. The boy then finds himself on a quest to defeat Death and must overcome multiple temptations in the forms of dragons with secret knowledge, beautiful women with the intent of enslaving him and even his own allies overcome by his enemy, in order to fulfill his quest, eventually travelling to the edge of the land of the dead to overcome his opponent, which (SPOILER ALERT!) turns out to be part of himself. As Ged, the boy, defeats his shadow and becomes one with it, he resumes the full responsibilities of his manhood and returns back to the world of the living with greater knowledge and consciousness. Wow!

And in a strange way, I see Ged's struggle in my own life. I have been believed to be incredibly powerful by many members of the mytelekinesis.com website and let that get into my ego, where such thoughts formed many personal demons which I had to overcome alone. In the end, I have come much closer to adulthood and embracing myself not as an idealized superhero of my childish fantasies, but as an empowered young man able to create my world in any way I choose.

We should all come to this realization about ourselves. That we do have power in our lives. That we can overcome our darkness. That we can be fully accountable for our lives and not suffer for it, but be enlivened by this instead.

This is the journey in Psychic/Magical development. To become the shining suns we were meant to be, and not just sheep in a flock. To take responsibility for our lives and our power. To grow into empowerment and wisdom. To be as Bright and Big and Beautiful as we need be.

Many leave this path with the dissappointment that their egos were not satisfied and that the pressures to actually grow as a human being were not what they had hoped for, and I say whizzers on them! The task of the magician is not entered into lightly. This is not the fancy free mayhem of Harry Potter, but the call to one's true nature of Ged in Earthsea.

LVX Amor!

No comments:

Post a Comment