Saturday, July 9, 2011

On Eros and Sexuality

This is a topic I have been wanting to write about for a while, and will most likely return to at some point in the future as it plays such an important part in my work as a Magician and a Mystic. That is right: Sex. But more importantly: the ever present creative impulse known to the ancient greeks as Eros.

I make no excuses. I enjoy being a sexual being and actively participate in that process. The joining of body and energy in pleasure is something I hold very sacred. The ideal of physical love and merging with another in celebration of life and creative power is something I heartily enjoy. I even make many jokes with my friends about being incredibly easy and promiscuous.

However, I must confess that it is not just a "screw" (a word I dislike using in approaching such an act) that I seek. It isn't that my partner has large genetalia or can work wonders with his body that draws me in. It is the life force. Plain and simple. The rush of energy that comes with the arousal and the subsequent activity is what truly gets me. The act of being fully alive in the world, connected with another soul in harmony, however brief, is what truly propels me towards this act.

And yet sadly, the sacredness of sexuality has been reduced to a dirty f*ck. Eros, the great god that inflames men's hearts with passion is left as a chubby baby in a diaper, instead of a powerful virile youth. The sexuality of the cosmos is left unnoticed. And the desires of man to join in union with another are left regarded as something either kinky or perverse. I do not believe that it should be in such a way.

You see, sex is not just the penetration of genetalia. It is so much more. It is Earthworms burrowing in the soil. It is the earth rising to meet a strike of lightning. It is flowers opening up to show their faces to the light of the sun. And it is the joining for forces in harmony and pleasure for eachother.

In many ancient cultures, it was sex that set the worlds in motion. To the greeks, the primordial Eros, the protogenos, mates with chaos and gives birth to the heavens and the earth and man and all gods. In the Hindu culture, the coupling of Shakti and Shiva created the universe and all within it. Even in witchcraft sects, such as the Anderson Feri Tradition, it is the Goddess whom falls in love with herself after seeing her reflection in the black mirror of space, and her subsequent masturbation and orgasm explodes outwards, giving birth to all things.

The point is that sexuality is the impulse that brings all life together, and then if in the right circumstances, actually creates new life. I see it as the most life affirming act there is, as what could be more life affirming than an act that creates new life?

Ultimately, it is better to be safe and cautious and to be involved with someone you love instead of just using someone for personal pleasure, I will add. However, that should not stop you from being avaliable to the miracle that exists.

It is our rights as human beings and gods to partake in this creative act. Our joy and ecstasy to kiss the limitless and be entwined in this cosmic dance. So don't think of it as something perverse or dirty. See it as it truly is: life entwined in rapturous embrace.

LVX Amor!

No comments:

Post a Comment